Hair is actually dead material when it leaves its root - otherwise it would hurt very much when your hairdresser works with the scissors.
Most people know that, but do you know about these facts:
- A head of blonde hair has usually much more strands than red or dark hair heads.
- Hair consists mainly of keratin, which is also responsible for the elasticity of fingernails.
- A single hair has a thickness of 0.02 - 0.04mm, so that 20 - 50 hair strands next to each other make one millimeter.
- Hair is strong as a wire of iron. It rips after applying a force equivalent of 60kg, only after it stretched itself for about 70%.
- Even on a good hair, per day everyone loses atleast 40 to 100 strands.
- The average scalp has 100,000 strands, or just fewer than 1000 per square inch.
- We are all born with hair follicles. Some are programmed to grow pigmented hair(as on our scalp) up to 3 feet in length.
- The trait for baldness can be passed down through paternal or maternal genes.
- Hormone imbalance and imbalanced diet can trigger temporary hair loss.
Longest Ear Hair
On November 21, 1997 Hoo Satewoo's lengthy locks were unraveled and officially measured at a hair - raising 5.15m (16 ft 11 in) long. His are the longest locks in the world. Hoo Cut short the title for Mata Jagadamba of Ujjain, India - her hair measured 4.23 m(13 ft 10.5 in)
Largest Donation of Hair
Pilgrims of Tirupati Temple, in Andra Pradesh, India donate a tonsure of their hair as a gift. Every year an estimated 6.5 million people make donation of their hair, & more than US$ 2.2 million is raised through its annual auction.
The greatest reported achievement in hair splitting has been that of Britain's Alfred West, who succeeded in splitting a human hair 17 times in to 18 parts on eight occasions. All the divisions were made from the same point.